Tuesday, October 28, 2014

A Day to Remember

This is the year 1820- I am fourteen years old.

Today began like any other day.

 I helped my family out on the farm today, as I hauled rocks around and helped my father clear some land for new crops to be planted on the farm.

Suddenly, I felt very inflicted with deep thoughts that I am unable to explain. It was almost as if I was worried about where my soul was going to end up after my death. I could not decide which church that I should attend and it was causing me to lonliness and purposeless. My family was set on joining a Methodist church, but I did not feel comfortable about my parents' joint decision. I felt as if there was another denomination that would fit my needs.

I decided to walk over to the woods to pray and seek God's answers. Once I kneeled on the ground and began to pray, I knew something felt different about this prayer than the prayers I had said before. The sky started to become really dark and gloomy. Some force was taking over me. I could no longer form words. I was scared for my life. What was I about to endure? I loudly asked God to watch over me and to protect me. As soon as I thought I was going to die, a bright light started to shine directly over my head. I looked and it was not the rays of the sun, but a light that was coming from another source. Almost immediately, I felt safe, calm, and at peace.

What I am about to say next is something that had such a profound influence on me.

I saw two Personages. I cannot even being to describe their appearances. They were both standing in front of me, but they were in the air. One of them called me Joseph! The one who called me by name also told me to listen to the one standing next to him because that was "His Beloved Son!" I could not keep up with my thoughts; they were racing. What was happening?

After a few minutes, I was able to reform my thoughts. I figured I should talk to the two Personages, because this vision would probably never happen to me again. I asked them which church I should join and which denomination I should follow. God answered. He told me to not follow any of the churches and that they are all wrong in his mind. He told me that they are holy, but they are not denominations with enough power.

Soon after, my vision ended. I found myself lying on my back, surrounded by the woods, looking up at God and His Son in the sky. After a long contemplative silence, I finally walked back home to write this in my journal. I could not help but wonder, "Have I been called to become God's Prophet?"

Here is a picture that I sketched of my time in the woods:





https://www.lds.org/manual/our-heritage-a-brief-history-of-the-church-of-jesus-christ-of-latter-day-saints/chapter-two-establishing-the-foundations-of-the-church?lang=eng
https://www.lds.org/scriptures/pgp/js-h/1.1-20?lang=eng
http://josephsmith.net

No comments:

Post a Comment