Tuesday, October 28, 2014

My Beginnings

This is the year 1816- I am eleven years old. 

My name is Joseph Smith. I was born on December 23, 1805 in Sharon, Vermont, but my family and I have just recently relocated to New York where the Second Great Awakening is in full bloom. The Second Great Awakening has been able to establish new denominations and lead societies away from evil. Many people are converting to different religions. I am thankful for this. 

 My parents are Joseph Smith Sr. and Lucy Mack Smith. I have five brothers and three sisters. When I seven, I was very sickly and even had to walk with the help of crutches for a few years of my life. I contracted typhoid fever and required surgery on my leg. I am thankful to be alive because this disease has killed merely 3,000 people in the New England area. As a boy, my parents always encouraged me to develop a personal relationship with Christ and to seek peace from Jesus Christ. My parents have always been godlike people and have copious amounts of faith in the Lord. My mom has told me, "I therefore determined, to examine my Bible, and, taking Jesus and his disciples for my guide, to endeavor to obtain from God which man could neither give nor take away." My mother's statement always lifts my spirits. My parents have also taught me how to pray and we even meet daily to pray over one another, read scripture, and get into the Word of God. Sometimes, I often teach my parents a thing or two about the Bible. 

My parents' strong faith and willingness to teach me about God have truly impacted my life. Thus, I continue to seek God and follow his path to a divine life. 


Here is a picture of my family and me: 



http://josephsmith.net
https://www.lds.org/scriptures/pgp/js-h/1.1-20?lang=eng

No comments:

Post a Comment